Spang Power Electronics has expanded its compact product offering to include a low current, din-rail mountable digital SCR power controller, the 1050 Nano. The 1050 Series digital SCR controller family has been designed to deliver incredible features like temperature regulation at an affordable price to the industrial heating market. The 1050 Series SCR power controllers are loaded with unique, value-engineered features and functionality for custom systems installation, integration, or retrofit.
The 1050 Nano SCR power controller key feature sets include:
- Bluetooth compatibility
- Blown fuse annunciation
- Dual port, daisy-chain Ethernet capability
- “Book shelf style” packaging
- Direct temperature control – (2) standard T/C inputs
- Color touch screen for display interface
- Built-in high speed network capability
- Integrated I²T fuse within touch proof package
- Single display capability for multiple controllers
- Web browser, product hosted, configuration tool
- Micro SD memory card for configuration file storage
The design features of the 1050 Series digital SCR power controllers allow our customers to implement higher density installations, reduce system components, and manipulate process data in real time with this easily configurable package.
1050 Nano Products
The 1051 Nano SCR power control units are an extension of Spang’s innovative digital 1050 Series products loaded with unique, value-engineered features and functionality. Spang’s expandable feature set for the 1050 SCR controllers offer network communications, a color touch screen digital display / keypad, analog and digital I/O as well as direct temperature control. The 1051 Nano controller contains the flexibility to meet customer specific needs for industrial applications with a compact footprint and an affordable price.
- Phase (Frequency): Single Phase (50/60Hz)
- Voltage Range: 50 to 690VAC
- Control Power: 85 to 265VAC, 1PH, 50/60Hz, or 24Vdc
- Current Range (air cooled – touch proof): 32 Amps AC
- Control Methodology: Phase Angle & Zero Crossover
- Load Type: Resistive or Transformer Coupled
- Selectable Regulation Modes: Open Loop (%), Voltage, Current & Power or Direct Temperature Control (two thermocouple inputs)
- Selectable / Configurable Limits: Voltage, Current & Power (simultaneous) or Temperature (two thermocouple input)
- Faults: Current High Fault, Blown Fuse, Input High / Low Voltage, SCR Over Temperature, Network Loss, External Fault Sense via digital input (limit switch, transformer thermal, etc.)
- Alarms: Voltage / Current / Power Output Limit, Per Cycle Current Limit, Low Input Voltage, Max Output, etc.
- Transient Voltage Protection: Integrated I2T fuse kits for semiconductor protection, RC snubber, premium rated SCRs & software enabled shutdowns
- Continuously Monitored Parameters: Voltage / Current / Power Input & Output, Duty Cycle, Power Factor (pf), Input Frequency, process temperature, etc.
- Status Indicators (LED): Blown Fuse, Fault, Alarm, Output On, Control Power On & Processor Heartbeat
- Analog Output Transducers: Two (2) Selectable and Configurable (4-20mA, 0-5Vdc, etc.)
- Digital Outputs: Selectable and Configurable (alarms, faults, no fault, OK to Run, or Output On / Firing) – Two (2) Form-C with dry contacts
- Digital Inputs (standard): Enable / Inhibit Contact & Three (3) configurable inputs as remote / local, alarm, fault, timed alarm, timed fault, fault reset, or output on.
- Soft Start: Configurable Ramp Up & Ramp Down
- Control Modes: Analog, Digital or Network Communications
- Analog Reference Signal (standard): Two (2) configurable mA, Vdc, or potentiometer from customer PLC or Temp. Controller (4-20mA, 0-10Vdc, 10K POT, etc.)
- Temperature Reference Signal: Two (2) process thermocouple input; 24 bit A/D resolution (Type-B, C, E, J, K, N, R, S, or T thermocouples)
- Faults and Alarms with thermocouple input: Temperature Limit, Temperature High / Low Alarm, Temperature High Fault, Thermocouple break alarm / fault, etc.
Digital Control (standard): PC Interface / Web browser Configuration Tool
PC Interface via Configuration Tool (standard): Product hosted, web browser based configuration tool for controller setup, calibration, monitoring & troubleshooting (PC supplied by others)
Spang Power Electronics’ 1051 Nano digital SCR power controllers include standard and advanced temperature control features. Two thermocouple (T/C) inputs for Type B, C, E, J, K, N, R, S, or T are provided as a standard feature on the 1050 Nano products which allows direct temperature control feature.
Within Spang’s web browser configuration tool, the dual thermocouple inputs can be set as the primary, backup or averaged. Each input can be set to not used, monitor only, limit temperature, or control temperature.
Some of the standard temperature control features include:
- Monitor, Control, or Limit Temperature
- Automatic and Manual Control Modes
- Temperature PID Loop and Ramp Settings
- Alarm and Fault Settings
- Temperature units in ºC or ºF
A more advanced temperature feature included in the 1050 Series is Recipe Mode. Initially the user will set up a series of ramp and soak segments, thus defining the “recipe.” The user can play, pause, stop, or reset the recipe from the controls within the configuration tool, via a Spang LDC color display, over a network communication platform (Ethernet, Profinet, etc.), or via hard-wire digital input contacts.
Spang Power Electronics’ standard 1050 Nano digital SCR power controllers include a 4-channel oscilloscope app as part of our web browser based configuration tool.
The oscilloscope has both automatic and manual trigger features which store waveform data directly to the 1050’s micro SD card for future use. The waveform data can be viewed by Spang’s configuration tool at any time while online with the controller or saved directly to the user’s computer for offline manipulation.
One automatic trigger and data storage event occurs if the controller has identified a high current trip condition. This is typically related to a measured overcurrent; current transient or short circuit. The magnitude and related waveform of this overcurrent is valuable troubleshooting information to help explain the process phenomena just prior to the controller’s alarm or fault condition.
Additional setup and troubleshooting features exist including:
- Power synchronization setup for KW peak demand monitoring
- Zero Crossover (burst firing) trigger points for minimizing peak inrush
- Automatic trigger on external digital inputs (e.g. circuit breaker auxiliary)
- Advanced Trigger capability based on assigned setting or bit pattern functionality.
Scope Channel Selections
- Input Voltages (line-to-line)
- Output Line Currents
- Output Voltages (line-to-line)
- Analog Reference
- Power Synchronization Loop
Spang Power Electronics’ standard 1050 Series digital SCR power controllers include a real-time trending app as part of our web browser based configuration tool. The trending application delivers benefits for monitoring and troubleshooting process and power related phenomena as well as tuning control loops.
While online with the 1050 Series product, the user may activate the trending tool to capture process data of all trending selections to their PC. A configurable trend screen consisting of two axis offers easy viewing with auto refresh, zoom, and pan settings. The user can save all online accumulated data to their PC for offline viewing.
When coupled with Spang’s direct temperature control features, the trending app provides a user-friendly platform to tune the temperature loop specific to the installed equipment, maximizing performance and minimizing overshoot.
- Input Voltages (line-to-line)
- Line Currents
- Output Voltages (line-to-line)
- Output Power (kW)
- Duty Cycle (%)
- Temperature Actual
- Temperature Setpoint & Target
- Temperature PID Output (%)
Spang Power Electronics monitoring apps for smart phones and tablets are compatible with the 1050 Nano digital power controller units (PCUs). The real time monitoring apps retrieve data when connected to a common wireless network or via an enabled Bluetooth connection. All wireless network security and settings are handled independently by the user which makes VPN access and remote monitoring possible and secure.
When prompted, the app will search and find 1050 Nano Power Controllers that are on the same wireless network as the smart device or within range of Bluetooth enabled devices. Unit names and the associated IP addresses from multiple units are stored by the app. The 1050 Nano Monitor app will only read data from the Digital Power Controller and while connected will show the product type, operating conditions, as well as active fault / alarm status and history.
Reference the app store link for additional screen content and descriptions.
Available on iPhone and iPad.